Introduction To Public Sector Development
There is no doubt in the fact that an empire thrives on a regimented system of excellence and reliance on its people. The leadership of a company, a public industry in this case, has to be determined in order to conquer management challenges that might come its way; the need to reform and resituate the organizational peripherals is immediate. The aim of any governance policy is to establish a steady rhythm between the cultural, socio-political and economic interfaces for greater productivity across the public sector.
What We Do
Abacus realizes the need for a company’s economic strength to be brought to the forefront for a coherent, transparent and efficient system has become quite crucial in this day and age. This is where Abacus has truly sunk its roots and has been a prime consultancy and development partner for the public sector since its inception. It is quite a feat for us that we have overseen and completed an impressive number of public projects for better development statistics and creating more opportunities for improved management, especially in the public government sector.
We are industry leaders in providing business solutions to a diverse portfolio of enterprises, offering unmatched capabilities and a capacity to build customizable, strategic, and insight-driven solutions that maximize efficiency and results. Our deep expertise is built on the foundation of running thousands of processes for catalog of companies.
- Public Finance & Management
- Economic Growth Management
- Monitoring, Evaluation And Research
- Climate Change
- Education & Training
- ICT Development
Delivering Sustainable Development
Increased economic growth with enlightened governance reduces poverty directly and bolsters investment in the public sector. Continued support in enhancing economic governance further accelerates growth and ensures sustainability.
Based on decades of experience, Abacus focuses on reform of the regulatory and structural constraints to investment, enterprise, and participation. It helps governments promote investment and private enterprise through premarket reforms of the regulatory environment both at the local as well as national levels. The fine expertise Abacus has acquired are applied to strengthen local economic governance, private sector development, trade liberalization, and the promotion of private investment through regulatory reform that can strengthen the responsiveness of local governance to the requirements of the business sector and the needs of the poor.
- Advice and Planning
- Poverty Reduction Strategies
- Trade and Commerce
- Policy review and development
- Food Security
- Agribusiness Development
- Value Chain Development
- Enterprise Development
- Macro-economic Reforms
- Public Private Partnership
Education And Training
Education and training sector is undergoing significant structural reforms particularly in the developing countries, consolidating efforts to attain objectives of ‘Education Sector Reform’ and ‘Education For All’, thus attaining the goals of MDGs. Drawing on these reforms, Abacus is able to provide technical support in the following services:
- System planning and management Policy development
- Institutional strengthening
- Pedagogy / curriculum development Instructional materials / text book development
- Educational economics
- Educational management information systems (design and implementation) Study tours, fellowships and short course training
Environment And Natural Resources
In 2002, the World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD) analyzed the linkage between sustainable development and achieving the MDGs. It was identified that the environment-poverty nexus which covers a variety of social, political and economic dynamics obstruct the achievement of the MDGs.
Environmental sustainability deals with natural resources and the reproducibility of global ecosystem services and ecological resources. The overuse of natural resources and environmental degradation shrink the opportunities of future generations. Environmental sustainability emphasizes the proper use of natural resources and regeneration of the ecosystem so that future generations have the same opportunities as the present ones. Abacus is well qualified to provide support to both government agencies and private businesses in achieving their environmental and economic goals.
- Risk Assessment
- Water resource management
- Cultural resources
- Soil conservation and drainage management
- Environmental policies
- Socio economic and fiscal impact analysis
- Urban planning
- Environmental Audits
- Strategies on CDM and CERs
Lessons from the past have highlighted that the provision of policy advice alone is no longer adequate to effect change where dysfunctional, corrupt and unaccountable public institutions exist. Good governance, therefore, is a prerequisite for economic growth and the eradication of poverty. Building better governance means working with state institutions, civil society, and citizens, supporting governments, parliaments, and judiciaries via function more effectively, responsive, and accountable toward citizens, and developing mechanisms for citizens to engage with and influence these institutions. Failures in service delivery are a key reason people fall into poverty; in contrast, good service provision helps people transition out of poverty. However, strengthening service delivery systems in developing countries to improve quality and expand access is therefore imperative.
At Abacus, good governance is a condition for all it does in delivering sustainable development. It has excellent expertise in the ‘demand’ side of governance, which means working with both civil society and the state, by building civil society’s capacity to engage with and influence the state and strengthening the state’s ability toward responsiveness and accountability via its citizens. We provide development support in governance by addressing it from both sides, meaning from top-down and bottom-up, in undertaking large-scale reforms, through conducting specific research, preparing background papers and studies, and enhancing the required capacity for social development.
More specifically, Abacus has had the opportunity of supporting in
- Policy reforms and change management
- Capacity Enhancement
- Counter corruption, increase transparency and public reporting
- Public financial management
- Organizational restructuring and privatization
- Poverty reduction policy development
- Gender mainstreaming
- Monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment
The health sector is undergoing transformational growth and change offering compelling opportunities and challenges to break the health-poverty nexus. Abacus provides health services in the primary and secondary sectors involving services such as:
- Community health and nutrition
- Health education and promotion Narcotic drug control
- HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment policies
- Women's and Children’s health and family welfare
- Hospital planning and management
- Pharmaceuticals policy, planning and supply
- Operations and staffing, including training doctors, nurses and paramedics
ICT For Development
The notion of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Enabled Development is gaining more prominence in developing countries. The potential of ICT can be used to attain national development goals as the impact of ICT has already been felt in sectors such as health, education, and rural development. Capacity development must now be seen as an integral part of this thinking. Within the changing context of development cooperation, several types of ICT capacities need to be built. These can be broadly defined as individual capacities, organizational capacities, sectoral capacities and national capacities. E-Government therefore refers to the use of information and communication technologies to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, transparency and accountability of the government.
In this context Abacus has been providing services that include Business Process Re-engineering (BPR) and Business Process Design (BPD), establishment of EDP and ERP in business, government and institutions, introduction of computerized multimedia in primary and secondary schools, computer training and software development and international networking.
Public Financial Management
Abacus understands that effective Public Finance Management (PFM) systems maximize financial efficiency, and improve transparency and accountability that contribute to long-term economic success.
Abacus’s services on PFM evolved after greater demands for accountability and transparency in the changing economic environment. PFM involves the establishment of structures, mechanisms and rules that govern management of public finances keeping in view the best practices and technological advancements in the business world.
Abacus is well qualified to provide support to government agencies in achieving their economic goals.
- Budget Preparation and Execution
- Revenue and Treasury Management
- Public Expenditure Reviews
- Fixed Asset Management
- Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Legal and Institutional Frameworks
- Training and Capacity Development
Program & Project Management
To translate strategies into actions and objectives into realities, use of program and project approach is essential. However, realization of objectives is not easy especially in today’s increasingly complex and high-stake world. Abacus has extensive experience in recruiting, developing and managing multi-disciplinary project teams. These typically comprise expert personnel from public and private sector agencies and civil society organizations. Additional backup support is available from Abacus and its partners as required.
Abacus's experience includes management of projects of all sizes, ranging from short-term project design, feasibility studies and project evaluation assignments, to long-term implementation projects with multi-disciplinary teams of international and local consultants.
Creativity and efficiency are prime considerations of Abacus in any project’s preparation and implementation. It provides a full range of expert services in a number of fields through full cooperation with the stakeholders and working in full partnership with clients at all stages of project implementation.
The areas of expertise and interest include
- Results Based Management
- Project Planning LFA
- Appraisals and Impact Assessments
- Rights Based Approach
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Capacity Building
Provision Of IT Technologies For Financial Management System Of The Government Of Bhutan
- The project involved a critical organisational and technical review of financial management systems of the Government of Bhutan. In the first step a detailed assessment was conducted and recommendations made towards developing the new financial management and compliance system including the strategy for applying appropriate IT technologies, followed by providing assistance in implementing several components of the project.
Program Management For The Launch Of e-marketplace.aregon.com, Jordan 2006
- Abacus Consulting was engaged to provide program management support services where around 50 professionals were divided into two main work streams: Technology Stream and Business Stream having further sub-work streams of 9 and 4 respectively. Abacus Consulting team provided assistance in the areas of goal setting and milestone management, scope and sourcing contract management, delivery and acceptance management, cost and benefits management, risk and issues management, team infrastructure and knowledge management.
Reforming Afghanistan Pension System Afghanistan National Development Strategy (ANDS)
- AbacusConsulting is helping the Government of Afghanistan in implementing reform of its pension system in line with the Social Protection sector in its Afghanistan National Development Strategy (ANDS). Being a lead firm, AbacusConsulting is designing, developing and implementing software for Pension Department.
Improving Public Financial And Human Resource Management Of Fata 2007-2012
- Abacus Consulting, with its international partner has been engaged by DFID to design and implement a programme of support to the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province (GoKPK) in implementing its Provincial Reform Programme. The programme is assisting to 1) improve Public Financial Management and human resource management systems to deliver scaled up resource allocations effectively to the districts; 2) improve monitoring and evaluation capabilities, including improving the availability and collation of data, as well as ensuring that data is used effectively by decision makers; and 3) improve aid effectiveness in NWFP, consistent with the principles of alignment, harmonisation, results based management and mutual accountability.
Developing An Efficient Fiscal Decentralization Process And Improving Accountability 2008-2009
- Fiscal Decentralisation project of Pakistan Army was part of major financial management reforms and was recommended by the strategic management of Pakistan Army for them to make informed fiscal decisions and improve ownership and accountability. AbacusConsulting worked with the Budget Directorate of Pakistan Army located in their Headquarters in Rawalpindi to develop a roadmap to implement fiscal decentralisation and created appropriate linkages with the Military Accountant General through recommendations of changes in the Chart of Accounts coding and structure. Abacus team advised and made recommendations to implement a budgeting and accounts monitoring system.
Compensation And Benefits Survey Etisalat Afghanistan MTN Afghanistan And TDC Afghanistan LTD
- AbacusConsulting was commissioned by the three leading telecom service providers in Afghanistan to conduct an in-depth study of Compensation and Benefits prevalent in Afghanistan. Abacus conducted a detailed job matching, analyzed each company’s relative standing in the marketplace and gave recommendations for aligning remuneration with the market. As an annual activity, five companies (i.e. Etisalat Afghanistan, MTN Afghanistan, TDC Afghanistan, Nokia-Siemens Networks Afghanistan, and FMFBA) have participated in 2010-11 Survey.
Iraq State Pension Fund Contribution Management System Government Of Iraq 2011-Onwards
- Being Management Consultant Firm on the project, AbacusConsulting is providing strategic and tactical support to the State Pension Fund (SPF) during the critical early phases of its institutional development. At the same time support is being provided for the development, piloting and finalization of the Contribution Management System (CMS) to be ready for roll-out to all SPF branches. AbacusConsulting shall assist the SPF to establish the business divisions, sections and units specified in accordance with the SPF business operations model and organizational structure.
Punjab Municipal Administration Services Improvement Project World Bank Funded 2011-2012
- The project aimed at improving the viability and effectiveness of urban services provided by the Tehsil Municipal Administrations (TMAs). The Institutional Development component concerns with implementing a number of interventions including establishment of Performance Management System (PMS), Complaint Tracking System (CTS) and Computerized Financial Management System (CFMS), TMA Website Development, introduction of IT culture at TMA offices through provision of basic & advance computer trainings and requisite hardware, Urban Planning and Development of GIS based service delivery maps. Abacus assisted Punjab Municipal Development Fund Company in their financial management capacity building intervention of Punjab’s TMAs to improve service delivery to the citizens.
Reforming Pakistan’s Budget Preparation Process In Partnership With OPM 2003-2004 And 2006-2012
- In a partnership consortium led by OPM, Abacus assisted Government of Pakistan to implement its one of the most important public-sector reforms called ‘Medium Term Budgetary Framework’. Main purpose of this project was to reform Pakistan’s budget preparation process. A full time Abacus team based in Ministry of Finance, provided technical assistance in macroeconomic forecasting, budgetary management and organizational development of all federal ministries. A purpose built software application was developed by Abacus and implemented across the federal government. Abacus trained several hundreds of government officials of different seniority on the new budgeting process and the software. MTBF is a system of budgetary management adopted in developed and developing countries alike. This system strengthened and rationalized the budgetary process through, a) introducing a medium term perspective to the budget by casting annual budget preparation within a rolling three-year planning and budgeting framework, b) strengthening strategic allocation of resources through the development of capacity in forecasting medium term resource availability and procedures, c) adoption of output-based budgeting techniques which identify the costs of delivery of services so that this information can be used by policymakers, ministries and managers to plan future budget allocations and service delivery. With particular reference to Education, Abacus helped Ministry of Education in harmonizing its national education policy with its goals, outcomes and outputs.